Sunday, June 29, 2014

T Minus 2 Days - Gear Check

90%.........
.................loaded.  Unless you are counting me and then we are at 50%.



How it started this morning........

Maintenance......


Got up (kind of early) and got the bike in the stand for one last going over


Learned this from my doctor (won't say which one ;-)


Worked 'er over good.  Basically a good washing, check-up, lubing, and replacement of all the batteries


Gear check.......


Needed more space to lay out all the gear so I laid out a couple saw horses and laid down some planks.  These planks are very special to me.  They are rough sawn timber from an old building at the shipyard.  About five years ago, Dave Whitcomb and I split the cost of bringing in a guy to saw up the timber.  I used part of mine to build my oldest daughter (Bianca) a table.  These are what are left over.


Start with the basics; a couple of inner tubes.  I like Specialized brand (for almost anything) and I like the stems to be of medium length.  Need zip ties too.  


Two (yup, two) Lezyne pumps, one large, one small.


A lock and cable


I'm getting dizzy looking at this.  Basically, this is the tool and tire repair kit.  The needle nose pliers did not make the cut (I did it!!  I cut ONE thing!!)
I

Spares; Tire and brake pads...oh, and more zip ties.  Can never have too many of those!!


Things to tie things down with


Water bottles.  Two to carry and a spare (hmmmm there seems to be a trend) just in case I hit a long stretch.


Wire cable in case......Heck, I have no idea but it is under 3 oz.


Frist-Aid kit.  Let's all agree I need this (but hopefully not)


Spare pare of gloves courtesy of mom (thanks, mom).  I don't think I will make the entire trip with just one.  


Bamboo utensils.  Sorry, mom, these did not make the cut.  


Three books; Two Edward Abbey books (thanks, Marty Mudry) and one Pacific Coast guide book


A reflective vest in case I get into to trouble and end up with some community service time.  Wave when you drive by.  


Apple Macbook Pro, Garmin GPS (Oregon 600), Suunto Ambit watch, and Go Pro (this is going to be a well chronicled trip (I hope)


I went with the North Face 15 degree bag.  A little warm but not as much as the zero degree bags I have.  I plan on using it more like a blanket.  


Camping gear; Jetboil, utensils, extra rope, knife, flashlight, extra batteries, etc 


Ok, unless I was with Kevin Quigley, I NEVER ate any of the freeze dried food so I'm bringing all my leftovers.  A couple say they are good until August of '14  and others until '15.  Let's see how this goes.


Tent, infaltable mat, sleeping bag (in compression sack), and waterproof tarp


Oh, you know I will need these.  One for each cheek ;-)


Spare set of bike clothes


Parir of sandals and half a foot


Spare jacket....(it's down for god's sake. It doesn't weigh anything!!)


Bathroom kit


Finished product - Side view



Front view


Rear view


Only one question:  Why.......
......didn't I train with the bike loaded? Holy mackerel is it heavy!!! Heavy but I feel good about the weight and that I'm not taking to much useless crap but you can be the judge......

No comments:

Post a Comment