Saturday, June 28, 2014

T Minus 3 Days - Last Day of Training

Last Day of Training
Well, the last day of training ended up being 18 holes of golf with Luca.  We walked it so I will count it.

You know what I like about golf?  It makes me realize how much I like biking (and just about everything else)!!  Not that it was that bad.  We went to Stone Creek in Oregon City which is one of the nicest public courses around, especially during the winter because it drains better than any other course.  Luca and I did not light it up but we did all right (one of us shot under 100 and then other just over.  I won't say who).  We were paired with a nice retired couple from the St. John's area of Portland, Karen and Ed.

I put in about 1400 miles during the six weeks training period which is approximately the number of miles it will take to get to San Diego.  And, because we live in West Linn, OR I got in plenty of hill training.  I estimate the total elevation gain to be greater than what I will experience on the trip but I'm not figuring I will just cruise up the hills.  I'm expecting a lot of hard work ahead.  Like climbing, I will take it one step (or pedal, as this case will be) at a time.  


Photo of father and son and of Luca when he learned who shot below 100 ;-)


Meanwhile Back in Youngstown.....

Lori, Bianca and Mia are back in Ohio visiting family after stops in NYC and Washington, DC.  They are back in PDX tomorrow around 11 (I still haven't figured out if that is AM or PM)

Mia and her mad water sliding skills

What Tomorrow Brings....
Sunday really starts the count down.  Time to tune the bike, do a gear check, and select what stays and what goes.  I've never been a gram-counter.  This is a term used to describe alpinists who go to extremes to lighten their loads.  I know and have climbed with a few.  One even pulled the first aid kit out of my pack at the start of weekend climb, saying I wouldn't need it.  He was right....that time.  However, on this trip I'm figuring I will be at least counting ounces.  It's not like I can't pick something up along the way, if I really need it. 

I expect to approach Sunday's prep in a fairly leisurely manner.  Hopefully, I will be able to snap a few shots and post them.  If you are interested, check in tomorrow.  

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip buddy, be safe and watch out for Jeepers Creepers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, David. Much appreciated. And as far as Jeepers Creepers go; That was a good flick! You can be sure I will be watching out!

    ReplyDelete