Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ok, back at it.  I'm thinking of some of the formatting I will try to incorporate in the blog as well as things I will try to accomplish along the way.

Regarding formats:  I think I will start with Physical Stats:

  • Mood upon waking:  Grumpy and tired (nothing new to my wife and kids)
  • Mood when I got done:  Grumpy and.....(just kidding).  I felt pretty decent and happy.
  • Weight:  I'm in the 217 lbs right now which I feel is about the right weight to start, figuring that I'm gonna loose about 10-15lbs on the trip.  Now, for the tough part; How the heck would I weigh myself along the way??? Carnivals?  What would I do with all those plastic hammers and rubber chickens?? I will have to figure that one out.
  • Notables:  I experienced about 20 minutes of weakness.  Over the years, I have experienced this many times but have had a hard time figuring out what it is.  All I know is it comes on and I just have to push through it and it will pass.  Not too much of a problem on a bike but several times while surfing during an offshore wind on the Great Lakes, I almost found myself in Canada.  For those of you who don't believe the GL surfing stuff, see the photos below and follow this link:  http://youtu.be/6sMWoG0llYo
  • Height, hair and eye color:  Since I figure those won't change, I think will leave them out of the report (6'4", brown, and brown (and no, Joe-Joe, I don't color my hair (but based on the amount of grays coming in, I might reconsider!!))

Regarding things I would like to accomplish along the way: I'm going to try to remember to "ask" for the photo and take the time to do it.  By that I mean, one sees lots of interesting things in one's lifetime sometimes thinks, "Holy crap! I can't believe I just saw that!! I wish I had a picture of that."  Case in point: As I was riding along SW Barbur Blvd today I saw a guy in an tiger suite walking next to a  guy with a full size dog laying across his shoulders.  I thought the dog was dead until I got closer.  Now, what was their story?? Wouldn't you like to know?? Hmmm?  Well, I do (to an extent).  If I can make the time, I will find out for you.  We missed that opportunity but I'm sure there will be others.  Let's see what we find.

And a little about The RideMy Ride is a Cannondale T-1, made in the USA.  Aluminum frame (fairly stiff ride), panniers, and a Brooks saddle.  I recently had River City Bikes go over the whole thing and tune it up, replace the chain and rear cassette, and upgrade the brakes. And, wow, what an upgrade on the brakes.  It was the only thing I did not really like about this bike.  I had really regretted not getting disk brakes but with the upgrade I'm digging it.  The bike size is "Jumbo".  Really.  When I have the seat adjusted to the proper leg extension, even I have to stand on my tip-toes on hills.  I'm gonna leave the bike description at that for now.  Maybe I will feel more geeky later on and rattle off the specs but all I know is with the right rider it will see San Diego.



Mikey Miller at Marble Head

On my trip to legendary Stony Point in Lake Superior

Marble Head, left hand break

The Ride: Cannodale T-1

My home for 28 or so days

Stella, our _____ (I know it is a dog, what kind? Who knows?)


No comments:

Post a Comment