Tuesday, June 24, 2014


 
Well, the Harley would be an altogether better way of getting down to San Diego but I'm not in a hurry and I figure I'm gonna find someone who will appreciate 'er in the way a Harley should be appreciated; ridden.  In the four seasons that I've owned it, I'm put a grand total of 2k miles on it.  Pretty pathetic.  It's pretty, though, and that is what I will miss when it's gone.

At any rate, I'm gonna peddle my way south as far as my legs and butt (really the bigger issue at this point in my training) can take me.  The Destination is San Diego but I won't bust if I don't get there (but the OCD in me makes me think I might and that is what will likely sustain/propel/drive me on the days with a head-wind, ass-pain, and/or encounters with bad CA drivers (is the "bad" part redundant??)).

Today is T minus 11 days (...a little early to start the countdown but I need to get the hang of this blog things or it ain't gonna happen on the road..).  I leave on July 1, not withstanding some act of man or God.  Training has gone well or as well as any lackadaisical approach to anything could go.  Pretty much it has been; get on the bike, ride to coffee and lunch appointments and climb my tired butt back up that damn Hidden Springs Hill (seven minutes of hell which seems like thirty).  I won't miss that hill but I'm sure there will quite a few that will make me forget all about HSH as that total elevation gain for the trip is estimated to be 50k feet (I'm gonna check that again but it ain't gonna make no difference; It isn't going to change anything.  The hills will be there waiting.  But what goes up, must come down so it ain't all bad).  The total mileage is estimated to be 1400 and I figure at 60 miles a day and rest every fourth day, it should take me most of the month of July to get down there.   The plan is to Amtrak it back (again I'm not in a hurry and this way I avoid (most) of the CA drivers (left out the redundancy this time)).

So, how did this start?  I remember it well; A few years back, I was on the Coast, peddling around waiting for the family to wake up.  I stopped in to get a morning cup of joe at the local bakery/coffee shop and ran into a young lady there.  She was pretty chatty, and, oh, hideous too.  Seriously, as ugly as the night is long.  And, her teeth, fangs, really...... (Ok, I'll admit it, it was bit like a biking version of the pool scene in National Lampoon's Vacation, except without the pool and Christie Brinkley.  But we all know how it turned out...the Griswolds make it to Wallyworld and they live happily ever after (except for grandma and the dog)).  Until she said she was biking the full length of the Coast, from WA to the Mexican border, I didn't know that anyone did that.  I was intrigued.  I returned home, did a little research, bought a couple books, and developed a plan.  That plan ran into the buzz saw of the Vigor's acquisition of Todd Pacific Shipyards in Seattle and three years have gone by.  I promised myself that as soon as my stint with Vigor was over I was going to hit the road.  Well, it's over and as of today, I'm a month overdue on my promise.

Ok, to prove that I've learned a few things over the years; I will follow-up the preceding paragraph up with a word about my supportive and lovely wife, Lori (and our four children).  As much as I pretend, I've had it pretty good.  I mean who else could go on an international surfing tour and have the balls to have sweat-shirts made up, logo and all, and call it the Widow Maker Tour??? Yup, you guessed it, me.  That poor judgement aside, I made a pretty great choice when I chose my wife.  She has been a excellent partner and mother (see the photo of the dinner table my wife and few of the neighbors prepared for my daughter's prom)  and has supported me in all my endeavors and adventures.  Lori - If not for your support I could not make this trip.  Thank you, thank you.  Together we have four great kids; Vince, Bianca, Luca, and Mia whom I love equally (unless I get hit by a bus on the way south and then my will might tell a different story (photo of garbage bags are clothes donations for Goodwill strategically placed in the crawl-space by one of our lovely children because that must have been easier than just dipping them off!!!).  Good news; eleven days to change your fortunes!!!))  Seriously, they are the best!

Well, time to pack it in for the day.  Ciao for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment