Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 10 – Leggett to Mendocino – CRASH! (Cookies and Caffeine)

Day 10 – Leggett to Mendocino – CRASH! (Cookies and Caffeine)
I could ride all the way to San Francisco today!!  Oh hell yeah, I could!!!  The day started with a fond farewell to my new friends, Bonnie, Adria, and Todd at the Standish-Hickey Campground in Leggett.  Then the work began; one 1100 ft climb followed by one of 670 ft.  Compared to ride through Garberville, the Coastal Mountains were cold.  I left my jacket on as I sweated my way up the hills.  The downhills dried and cooled me.  Thank you, Hidden Springs Hill.  Your 16% grade and seven minutes of hell every training run prepped me well for Leggett.

I broke out of the mountains and into the salt air of the ocean just north of Westport, a weathered little gem of a town at the end of Nowhere.  I took my first break there at the local general store, wifi hotspot, and town hall.  I ran into two young Canadian bikers there just getting ready to start their day.  The smell of salt, two large hills behind me, and the charming town exhilarated me.  I was ready for more. 

More came just outside of Westport with successive 200 ft climbs that really began to gas me but I never felt like I would not make my intended destination, Mendocino.  Pushing through the hills, I made it to the flatter sections that started in Fort Bragg. 

It was in FB that I found this great little coffee and cookie house.  A triple latte and three cookies later I was lit and ready for Leggett Hill AGAIN!!  The barista in the striped pullover hat negated the need to retrace my steps 45 miles when he suggested that there lies “one last hill” just before Mendocino.  The sugar and caffeine replaced my trepidation and nine miles later on that “one last hill” I bounded over it like Paul Bunyan in one step and found myself standing in Mendocino, and just in time.  I just crashed.  No more cookie and caffeine cocktails for me.  

A link to today’s ride:  http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35588435


Photos


First, let's start out with a very special photo: Lori and Mia doing a radio spot for the Children Cancer Association.  Yay, Lori and Mia.

Farewell to Bonnie, Todd, and Adria.  Travel safely.  Thanks for the company.  You guys are great!!

Off of 101 (THANK FREAKING GOD!!) and on to Highway 1.  Less than a handful of cars passed me on my way up Leggett Hill and down.

Leggett Hill goes on and on.  Actually, about 3.5 miles

Top of Leggett Hill


The top of the hill.  Topos say it is 1950 ft.  I believe them.

Off the Redwood Highway and onto the Shoreline Highway

My first sight of the ocean for a couple days and a view looking back at part of the hills I just came out of

Looking south towards Westport

Tony - This reminded me very much of the Punta San Jose, Baja Norte, Mexico trip we did

Living to surf

ANOTHER WHALE SIGHTING!!  This one is a bit spooky, though

First stop Westport.  Combo local general store, wifi hotspot, and town hall.

The hills just out of Westport worked me a bit.  Up and down, back and forth.

The area around Westport was pretty pastoral and remote.  Pretty cool.  

One big wave and these guys are gone.  I would say it would have been worth it!

Sand dunes!

Fiddle and Camera shop in Fort Bragg, CA.  Goes nicely with the Guitar and Bike Shop in Florence, OR.

This fine upstanding young man is Al.  We had a little chat while I was finishing off my cookies and coffee.

Mendocino

Kathy runs the desk at Mendocino Hotel.  Nice lady and nice rate.  

The room I got to lock my bike up in.  I love it so much I could actually stay there instead of the room.  Not kidding.  Remind me to tell you the story about a surf trip to Zihuatanejo that coincided with a large Mexican holiday that resulted in a stay in a storeroom with a machete.  

Mendocino Hotel

Lucky Number 13!!!

The room

Me

The view



1 comment:

  1. I can smell the salt air and scrub pines all the way down the coast. Thanks for the chance to reminisce while you did all the work. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete