Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 9 – Plan Back on Track But a Grueling Day

Day 9 – Plan Back on Track But a Grueling Day
A total of 45 or so miles today.  A bit of elevation gain and lots of heat.  Garberville, CA is one hot place.  The heat made the 2500 ft. of elevation gain seem like 25,000.  Many false summits but I felt pretty good other than my typical mild-hypochondria.  Today’s potential disaster? What if I die of thirst out here? 

I’m the first to arrive from the group of riders from the dozen or so who started the day at Burlington Campground.  Better health and greater strength did not propel me but rather fear; see the today’s (fill-in-the blank) anxiety above. 

Cher and Suze (see the picture below) said they would start late so I will be blown away if they push through the heat of the day to make camp.  Cher is from Portland and Suze is from Eugene.  They quit their jobs and hit the road on bikes, headed for Mexico.  Sooooo cool!!  Bonnie, Adria, and Todd look to be the most experienced bikers of the group and headed straight for the water hole at Burlington as I headed from my tent and a nap.  I got an earlier start and I expect to see them a little later this evening. 

Post Script to Above:  In case anyone wants to know:  There is NO, N-O AT&T cell service in Leggett.  And, no wi-fi, for that matter.  I checked at the gas station, the corner market, the park ranger, across the street at the Peg House.  Nope, zip, zero, nada.  Lori’s probably none to happy that I did not check in after Garberville but there ain’t nothing out here.  She will hear from me tomorrow and perhaps her appreciation will have grown ;-)

However, for my trouble I got to meet Frank and Sherman Tank.  See the photo below.  He was walking back from town.  Compared to me he is a Big Horn Sheep on these roads.  Sauntering down the side of a no-shoulder highway like he was on a supermodel on a runway.  Frank and Sherman, if I may call him that, were walking back their car with a car charger after their battery had run down the night before listening to the “game”.  I guess he means baseball.  We are both happy we met each other.  I got the photo and story and he got a cold beer after his walk.  You see, Frank is not afraid to ask either.


As was my guess, Bonne, Adria, and Todd made it to camp about two hours after me.  I went across the street to the Peg House to see what they had (and found they had football/soccer (see below)) and ran into them there, satiating their hunger and quenching their thirst on a pc of chocolate cake and diet coke.  These guys got me beat.  I don’t dare get off my strict diet (don’t tell anyone but I have Little Debby’s Nutty Crunch Bars in my bag;-)

As of the writing of this, 4:50pm, no Cher and Suze but to my surprise, a large group of bikers, the majority of them can’t be older than 17, pulled into camp minutes ago.  They stopped at Burlington last night but were sent to another camp because of the size of their group.  Again, no profanity and the faith of God (they must have it to be riding these roads), makes me guess they have a religious affiliation.  I may yet get their story but for now they are setting up camp and I’m ready to eat. 

Here is a link to Day 9 ride: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35588419

A start through the Redwoods
What a start to the ride today; A four-mile level ride through the Redwoods.  Of course, I would pay for it later but what a start!!

OMG!!  Football??  In Leggett??
Steffen – Well, I’ll be damned!!!  Right across the street from Standish-Hickey Campground at the Peg House near this cell and wi-filess town of Leggett, is a crowd that is not only engaged but cheering for football.  I mean, we are more in the middle of nowhere than Coos Bay was.  And, what is all the more amazing is that there is not a Dutchman nor Argentinian in the crowd (The Netherlands vs. Argentina).  The Frenchman was right!!!  There would be crowds cheering soccer, er, football. 


A Short Note the Supportive Family at Home

It is great to have the opportunity to get to go on a trip like this.  I would, of course, like to share it with my family but we all have our different passions.  Without their support, this trip would be impossible.  Thank you, all.

Photos
My friends, Cher, Suze and Nick

Hunger is the mother of invention.  Peanut butter and mozzarella sandwiches.  Amazing what your body will tell you it wants.  PROTEIN!

Burlington Campground on the Avenue of Giants

Some scenery on the way to Leggett

Now, it's starting to change.  Temp going up.  Flora changing

Garberville, CA.  Oh, to be there during harvest season ;-)

More changes

Getting very hot out here

River

More river

Freaking big tree


No comments:

Post a Comment