Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 7 – A Plan Well Executed and HOOCHIE MAMA!

Day 7 – A Plan Well Executed and HOOCHIE MAMA!
75 miles and 5k in elevation gain.  I was really excited about that until I looked at the ride for the day after tomorrow.  A couple of tough days ahead with one 2k peak thrown in for fun.  I hope to regroup from an excellent day and enjoy tomorrow’s ride at a leisurely pace in prep for what lies ahead.

My designation was Clam Beach Campground but I was open to any number of locations depending upon how I felt and how the vibe (see Trinidad, CA below).  I was riding well so I made it to Clam Beach but you know what?  There is SAND there!! I hate SAND!!!  Who would have thunk it???!!!  Ok, I don't always hate sand but when it is not a good mix with biking and camping.  I don't want to carry that stuff all the way down the coast.  

Today was the third day of pretty much a South Wind in my face.  I guess the Weather doesn’t follow the weather forecasts.  It was supposed to crank at 20mph out of the NNW.  Oh, well.  I’ll take it as it comes.  The North Wind does like to work late so I caught up with it today at the end of the ride, not a moment too soon. 

Regarding the plan:  It started when I decided to take the short run from Brookings, OR to Crescent City, CA.  In CC I just started shoveling the food in; Oatmeal, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, chicken, spaghetti, soup, oatmeal, peach, and banana, etc. Certainly not all in one sitting but it felt like it. I'm a light eater and while it is easier to eat with all this activity, I still have to push myself to make sure I'm fueled up.  But the alternative is bonking and I'm not interested in that.  So, shovel I will.  I really felt pretty dang good today. 

Here is the link to today’s ride:  http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35362063


Photos from the Day

We made it!!  Let the fun begin. The fun consists of a few good hill climbs.

I got early morning to beat the heat and traffic.  Traffic was hard to beat and the heat came and went.

Cue the Hosannas

Lori, I think we solved the lost socks in the dryer issue.  They are all ending up in the Redwoods Forest.

Gnarly, dude

Here it comes again.  It was pretty cool today but still warm in the sun.  The wardrobe changes were challenging

Paul and his ox, Babe the Blue Ox (if you want to formal).  Caught up with him and Babe in the Trees of Mystery

I spent a little bit of time here.  Planned the first break here.  Nothing more for report from the ToM

Alright..........

Now, when it said Elk Meadows I did not believe that I would see one but there she is, right there on the side of the road.  The rest of the herd was right beside her in the meadow.

That's Gwen.  She lives in Orick, CA.  Very Humboldt Countyish.

Orick is in a valley (Green Valley) and right by the coast so the fog just rolled up and pushed through the valley.  This is the point where lost what little North Wind I had and got smacked in the face with the South Wind.  We all worked it out with no one going home crying.  

Just some amazing sights.  This was quite a ride today.

Fun, fun, fun on the Redwood Highway

If you are ever in NoCal look up Trinidad.  It was a really cool place.  I considered staying there but was a little too amped up and had to keep moving. 

Looking back at Trinidad

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see how successful your trip has been so far! These photos remind me of the trip we took with you to the Redwoods. Definitely a majestic place to bike through! Hope the rest of your travels go as well as the first week! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool man, looks like you're doing great. What an amazing experience you must be having. I'm finally caught up to you and just read through your earlier posts (accessing from my phone has been a challenge). Keep it up, we'll keep the light on :-)

    ReplyDelete