Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 20 – Moro Bay State Park to Lompoc, CA – Sign, Sign. Everywhere a Sign

Day 20 – Moro Bay State Park to Lompoc, CA – Sign, Sign. Everywhere a Sign
For the first time on the trip, I woke up to the alarm (6am); A sign. I was very tired and did not want to ride; Another sign.  As I was still warming up on relatively flat land, riding into San Luis Obispo, I literally looked up and saw a street sign, Descanso, “rest” in Spanish; Yet, another sign. Yes, I thought, 40-50 miles today. In fact, I planned it the night before and had asked my brother who went to Cal Poly Tech at SLO which was the better town?; Guadalupe (40 miles out) or Orcutt (53 miles out)? Let’s just say he said it was a toss up. 

So, tired but prepared to dial it back, I hit the road.  The start was not painful but rather a pain in the ass as my muscles did not want to cooperate.  I figured they would give in and join the ride after about eight miles.  They waited until fifteen, and then only reluctantly.  The ride was pleasant enough and fairly flat (but not entirely).  I rode through fragrant fields of strawberries that literally smelled like jam.  After cresting a few hills coming out of the bay area, I descended to the valley floor.  Rather than ruthlessly hot, it felt like a comfortable sauna.  Relaxing.  Really.

Guadalupe was first up.  At first glance it looked like I was way ahead of schedule or someone had moved the Mexican border.  A small agricultural town that is known for its sand dunes, berries and artichokes.  Nice but I felt pretty good (thanks to a donut stop in Pismo Beach) and this natural sauna was way too good to give up.  Hmmm, maybe Santa Maria?  I read that it is known for its own style of BBQ and it is just a little off course to the East.  Naw, the wind is just now working to my advantage and the South has too much pull.  Ok, Orcutt and that's it!  But there is one problem with Orcutt:  It has not hotels nor campgrounds and I would have to back track by three miles to get a motel. 

After googling directions to Lompac, nineteen more miles,  at the corner of Highway 1 and Clark (the last turn-off for Orcutt), I was a man in pitted against himself.  YOU said we were going to take it easy today.  WE are in the desert and while it has been pleasant there has been a thin vale of cloud cover keeping the temps down. THE hill up to Lompoc is long, exposed, and STEEP.  BUT we can’t go BACKWARDS.  It’s JUST nineteen more miles.  YOU SISSY!!!  Get ahold of yourself, man.  You need some rest.  Think this over.  Yes, that is what I should do. 

Pulling off of Highway 1 (not much a highway in these parts) I pulled into Orcutt.  Not bad.  No hotels.  But not bad.  I found a nice little restaurant that had excellent food.  I struggled to choose between the fish tacos (I never order them but there is always a first time) and this breakfast concoction of a biscuit covered in cheddar cheese, topped with bacon strips, layered with sweet potato encrusted chicken, and smothered in gravy.  See what I ordered below (if you have to guess).

While the lunch was good, I won’t say it is what pushed me over the edge.  I suppose stubbornness did.  My plan to outsmart myself was to tell myself I could always turn around and come back or hitch a ride (Sean R knows I would consider this but I'm not likely to, EVER ;-)  I guess I could make a big production out of it; dry desert heat, sun beating down, buzzards circling overhead, steepest hill in the West but we all know how it turns out. 

I should have headed the signs but had a done that I wouldn’t be here in Lompoc, CA, the city of Arts and Flowers. Other than a little run-in with some would-be Cholos at the Red Roof Inn (Discretion had me choose the Travelodge. Valor took a back seat.), my stay here has been pleasant.  I’m on the corner of Highway 1 and 246 with little else to distract me but my laundry and a charming lady who is in the pool in her nightgown.  She didn’t want to wear her bathing suit, she says.  Perhaps she argues with herself too. 

72 miles today.  I feel good. 

Here is a link to today’s ride:  http://www.movescount.com/moves/move36313512

Note to Cher and Suze
If you are checking on the blog and want to update me on your progress and adventures, I would love to hear from you guys.  You can reach me via my email @ vincepiscitello3648@gmail.com


Photos
Again, the old volcano plug in Moro Bay.  Yesterday I said there were seven.  I was wrong.  There are nine "sisters".

Not much to say here

Nor here

But I do have to say something about this.  Another cool rainbow sighting!  

Looking back at the camp.  It is in the trees  

A sign but this one is for my brother

And, another sign for my brother

And, yet another

I've always heard of Pismo Beach but would have guessed it was in Florida. Now I can say I've been through it.

This is one of many RV parks in the Pismo area. It literally looks like they are camping at a RV showroom.  The only thing they left out of the camping experience is the out-of-doors.  To each his own.  

Guadalupe

Yellow church, yellow car.  Soooo freakin' obvious (on so many levels;-)

Lunch.  What? You thought I ordered the fish tacos??

The crest of the hill.  Topped out just below 1k (looks like dolomitic limestone.  I will have to look it up)

Looking over towards Vanenberg AF Base and on my way down to Lompac

No comments:

Post a Comment