Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day 6 - Brookings to Crescent City

Day 6 – Brookings to Crescent City – Short Ride/Day of Rest
I’ve got a couple big hills coming up in the Redwoods so the plan was to take it easy today and put in the short, mostly flat, ride from Brookings to Crescent City, CA.  28 miles total.  I stayed at a nice Oregon State Park right on the ocean last night.  It was one mile outside of Brookings. 

Mostly good except; The broken main water line that shut down the restrooms and showers (fixed late in the evening), one of the homeless persons who use the hiker/biker camps as their temporary homes asked me to help him move his camp that included a 50” big screen TV (not kidding), and the two Mormons in the camp next to me clucked like hens until 11pm.  I have nothing more to determine their religious affiliation other than they were both male, on bikes, did not use profanity the entire time, and the one giggled rather than belly laughed like most Gentile men do.

I’m not complaining or even disparaging a single religion.  Just what it was; mostly good with a few minor annoyances. 

A link to today’s ride:  http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35292941


Try to avoid the noise. It bothers me too.

As I was leaving Brookings today I was ruminating about negative thoughts and how to manage them.  I don’t suspect I can avoid them entirely.  In the middle of organizing my thoughts, I saw a fella on the side of the road walking his bike.  I’m always interested in why people who have bikes walk them.  There are many reasons but I’ve seen many homeless do this and wonder why.  As I was passing he called out and said, “Ride safe”.  I thanked him and began to pedal on and as I did he called out, “Try to avoid the noise.  It bothers me too.”  Interesting coincidence and good advice.  Thanks. 

Photos

Beach at campground

Packing up this morning

California!!

Um, the harbor is over there, buddy.

Where's Waldo or the real horses?

Like I said, mostly flat

There was one point where I thought I might have turned the wrong way

Made it

A little maintenance before I hit the hills tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to entering California!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you. And now for my next act.....

    I trust you travels are going well.

    ReplyDelete