Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 22 - Carpentaria SP to Santa Monica/Venice Beach - More Ants

Day 22 - Carpentaria SP to Santa Monica/Venice Beach - More Ants
Good ride today.  The wind was in my face to start out but for the last 45 miles it was pushing me hard to the East (mostly the direction I was going).  Today marks another failed attempt of mine; taking it easy.  75 miles total but they were actually pretty easy miles.  Sunny, flat, and a wind at my back for most of the time.  The toughest part of the trip was having to watch out for cars that were parked on the side of the road (for miles and miles) pulling out or opening their doors.  Not too bad, though.

Last night in Carpentaria was nice.  The campground that was very busy during the day quieted down quickly and I was able to get some good sleep.  That and I'm getting better sleeping in a campground.  If you are a light sleeper like me, never try to go to be before quiet time (10pm).

Lori and the kids surprised me by sharing a sunset and the ocean with me.  They were in Seaside, OR and you know where I was.  It was nice to have that connection. Thanks, Lori ;-)

And, if you thought my last ant story about ants was distasteful, close your eyes!!  As I mentioned things worked pretty well on the campground yesterday with the exception of the food storage situation.  Because of the critters (mostly squirrels but you get some raccoons, birds, and rats (!) too) they have you lock your food up in these cabinets that are usually by the picnic tables.  This one was exposed to the sun so it heated the food a bit and when I went to get my food this morning it was covered in ants.  Not wanting to waste food and having a new perspective on proteins (I don't discriminate), I threw out the stuff that might be spoiled and wiped off the rest.  Yes, a few of those little stragglers I told you about where still sneaking around in there but I have to say they went down good with peanut butter ;-)

And, it was nice to hear from Rene D and Nathan R today.  Miss you both.


Here is a link to today's ride:  http://www.movescount.com/moves/move36460822

Photos


Another shot of the oil rigs and Channel Islands by Santa Barbara

I was the lone camper at the Hike and Bike campsite yesterday at Carpentaria State Park.  

Sunset in Carpentaria - 8:07pm

Sunset in Carpentaria, CA - 8:07pm

Sunset Seaside, OR - 8:56pm (more proof that the earth is indeed round and not flat like some days I wish it to be)

Sunset Seaside, OR - 8:56pm

I found this great little Mexican Bakery in Carpentaria called Reynaldo's.  They have your typical Pan Dulces including Conchas.  Mmmm, good!


This was breakfast today.  A breakfast quesadilla with eggs, salsa, spinach, and avocados.  Very good.  

This is Mark.  He is from Lakewood, CO.  I caught up with him early in my ride.  He was riding with two of his buddies who went on to Ventura the evening before.  He is on a supported trip (no bags).  His family is following them in the camper.  Sounded dreamy; no bags ;-)  He is an avid mountain biker and has been to all the hot spots around him; Moab, Fruita, Durango.  I recommended the McKenzie River Trail and Bend in the event he got out to Oregon and give him my contact info in case he wanted to look me up.  I left him at the San Buenavista Mission in Ventura.  

 San Buenavista Mission in Ventura

The pier in Ventura.  Seemed like a nice little town

Grass for polo fields and golf courses.  The bourgeoisie has accomplices!! (yeah, other bourgeoisie)

It started getting hot around 10:30am

Now, we are in the desert

Look! Malibu, Barbie (get it?;-)

Interesting sandstone formations just past Malibu

Self portrait

Just past Malibu where you can see the bay and Santa Monica

Now if they just had more bike paths on the beach I might go there more often!

Santa Monica Pier.  I need to go there and check it out.

Yup, everything seems in order.  Moving on.

Three Days Left
But three days left on my journey. What am I to spend it on? Certainly, a portion must be dedicated to the task of completing the journey: riding, eating, routine maintenance but what else? Thinking, yes but about what?  When I started, I brought more along than I knew. Stowed away securely were life's daily questions, work, and longings.  They delayed the sojourn. After some time I was able to offload them like so much extra unnecessary weight to be placed in a box and sent home via Priority Mail.  Three days out do they come back to me like a parcel with insufficient postage? Return to sender? Did the box get all the way there only to be returned the entire distance back? It hardly seems worth the effort. Or, rather,  do I not accept the delivery and leave the decisions unmade, the work undone, the love unrequited.  Won’t someone else make them, do the work, requite?  Yes, I think they might.  What then shall I do?  Only three days left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment