Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 15 - San Fran - Rest Day

Day 15 - San Fran - Rest Day
Today has been a rest day in San Fran.  Yesterday, I brought my bike over to REI for a tuning and repairs to the front wheel.  I repaired the bag that was damaged with Tenacious Tape and parts I was able to convince the fella in the bike department to let me take off of set of bags they had on the shelves.  They can order the parts in and replace them after I'm gone.  The chain that was replaced when I had the bike tuned in Portland a month ago was replaced during this tune-up.  It was shot.  I loaded up on supplies that included Cliff Shots, power bars, and electrolyte tablets.  And, oh yeah, some chamois butter. All in all, this stop has worked out well.

Most of what I remember about SF is still here and a lot more.  It is a very prosperous city filled with many polyglots.  Not only is the demographic different than most other US cities, you more often here languages other than English spoken on the street; Spanish, Italian, Chinese, on and on.  And, it is not all tourists.  These are the residents of the city.  

Vince G treated me to a great meal of ciopinni at Sotto Mare in the North Beach section of SF.  It was excellent and very nice of him.  It was good to catch up and hear more about his new gig in SF.

I figure it should take me between 10-12 days to get to San Diego.  If I get there in time, I will visit with my sister Joanne and her family (they by coincidence are heading to PDX around the time I will be arriving in San Diego....hmmmmm).  I also plan to catch up with Sean R and his family as well.  Next stop is Half Moon Bay and then down the coast from there.


North Beach area where Sotto Mare is located

Inside the restaurant

The menu.  I recommend the ciopinni 

Dinner is served.  It had crab, mussels, clams, shrimp all in a seasoned red sauce served over penne pasta.  


A cannoli from the Mexican bakery

Shot on the way back from dinner

Night time shot

No comments:

Post a Comment