Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 3 - Florence to Coos Bay - Post Post

What was that Steffen said?
I was watching Sin City the other day (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/)  For alternate and opposing reasons, I love and hate that movie (best role ever for Elijah Wood. EVER! C'mon. Who doesn't love Kevin, the cannibal?)

Anyhow, in Sin City, as Dwight is jumping off of Shellie's apartment's fire stair she yells something very important to him. Only later he takes the time to recall what she really said:

Dwight: It wasn't "Stop." Shellie wasn't saying "Stop." If I had waited and listened to her, I would've known. I could've warned the girls to go easy. To settle for scaring them off. Shellie didn't say "Stop," she said "Cop." He's a *cop*. Detective Lieutenant Jack Rafferty. "Iron Jack" the papers call him. A goddamn *hero cop*. 

That turned out to be pretty important info and resulted in a whole heap of trouble for the gals in Old Town.  

Well, in the same manner Steffen (new cycling buddy.  see previous post) said something pretty important that I should stop and listen to.  As we were leaving dinner this evening and going our separate ways he said, "Still have a schedule to keep this evening, huh?"  I admitted I did.  I do.  I do and that is a problem.  

In many ways, I see this trip as a task.  Something to accomplish.  Three years ago a young woman shared an amazing experience with me; a journey on bike down the Pacific Coast.  For a number of reasons what she passed to me mutated from an adventure into a assignment.  I see 1400 miles, 60 miles a day and lots of hills.  This approach has made the first couple days, while filled with great views and new friends, challenging.

Yes, I still have a schedule to keep.  Sure, there will always be trouble in Old Town. But maybe if I really listen I can change this chore into the life affirming experience it should be.  Thanks, Steffen.  




1 comment:

  1. It is not a task. Enjoy it! Take your time! We are fine. XO

    ReplyDelete