Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 2 - Lincoln City to Florence, A Breeze

It’s a Breeze……
….when you have the wind at your back.  Well, not entirely.  This bike would be heavy if it had a motor on it.  Another 80 miles today.  On the dot.  My final destination was the Honeyman Campground just outside of Florence.  I’m gonna knock it back a few for the next couple days and follow the guidebook (Bicycling the Pacific Coast).  I’ve felt good but very tired and I want to see what I can do about feeling strong through most of the day’s ride. 

Here is the link to today’s run: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35074768

Turn Left at Otter Rock
So says Jim.  And, Jim was right.  The Otter Rock Loop cuts off of Highway 101 and goes through some really scenic coastline.  Very nice.  Jim has a place in Gleneadon Beach and lives in Gresham.  He is a pharmacist.  We were able to catch up for a short ride on the way to Florence.

Jim


Whale Sighting!!!!
Depoe Bay is a great place to spot whales during the migration.  I got lucky today and saw one!!




If you watch the video closely and look far off in the distance you will be able to see one breach……..OMG!! Did you see it??? Holy crap!!  Moby Dick!!! (actually, a couple sets of bikers said they really saw some)


Welcome to Newport, OR!Nice view from Otter Rock Loop courtesy of Jim 


 Newport, OR
Newport is one of my favorite cities on the Oregon Coast but today I only had time to pass through.
 

Welcome to Newport, OR!


The bridge at Newport

Mikey Miller Park!! (see surf post from some time ago)


 Very nice….except for the mosquitoes!

View after getting out of Yachats.  It got very hilly


Lunch.  Halibut Fish & Chips


Oregon is a Special Place
The geology and weather are so unique.  It is quite amazing.
 It was a clear day with  the exception of the moisture from the ocean getting trapped by Heceta Head.  A climb and very scary tunnel await me up there.

If you look closely you can see the lighthouse on the other side of the cove


Almost to the top


 Before you go head back down the hill (very long hill) their is the world famous Sea Lion Caves.  I have stopped there with the family before but the only thing in there that I have interest in is fudge and I’m not stopping for that either.

 
SALVATION!A little more climbing and it is smooth sailing into the start of the Oregon Sand Dunes and Florence beyond.

 I cannot believe I mad it but with the tail wind picking up speed later in the day, I was coming in hot (FAST)

 Now, that is a lot of sand

 I was having trouble with shifting for most of this leg so I stopped in Florence’s only bike and guitar shop…..or the only bike and guitar shop anywhere.  They fixed me right up and I was on my way. 

 Where the dream began three years ago (see an earlier post)

No comments:

Post a Comment