Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 18 – Monterey to Kirk Campground – Huff, Huff

Day 18 – Monterey to Kirk Campground – Huff, Huff
Today was a solid day of 58 miles and about 4600 ft. of elevation gain (I’d tell you the descent but it most often is about the same and doesn’t really matter (as much) because you just have to pedal back up again!!) I considered going on but there are a couple near 1k climbs coming up in the next 20 miles and not much in between me and them.  Stopping is prudent as I’m exhausted.  I’m hoping for a full recovery by show time tomorrow. 

It was a beautiful day with great riding and sightseeing conditions.  The temps were mild, in the 60s, and after a morning gloom the sun took over.  I scorched myself yesterday so I was sure to put on some sunblock. The geology continues to change, with lots of igneous rocks everywhere, some even with a red hue.  The whales were very active off the coast so I got to see plenty of action on the way.  I stopped to watch pods of them (somebody said they were Humpbacks) chase some rather large fish. 

Regarding Big Sur:  I’ve heard so many people talk about it.  I’ve only had a notional idea of what it was and those notions were wrong.  Big Sur.  I just figured they left off the “f” that was not the case.  Big Sur is in a valley in Los Padres National Forest.  Now I know. 

The campground is pretty nice as it is on the ocean and I lucked out and got a remote campsite under the shade of a Eucalyptus grove.  Most of the other spots are exposed to the sun.  There are no showers and no running water but I’m happy to be stopped and recovering.  (Sh*t!  As I type my beautiful little hiding place away from humanity has been discovered!!  A group of four has come in and they have spied my cool oasis.  Damn, damn, damn!!!  Yes, anti-social but I was hoping for a nice night’s sleep with no chattering.  Of course they think I’m rude as they have arrived at my doorstep and I have told them as much.)

Here is a link to today’s ride: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move36222508

Photos


Windy road, next 74 miles.  I’m not sure I want to know that ahead of time.

Looking back at (relatively flat Carmel and Monterey)

Very picturesque

The coastline and the promise of climbs

The sand deposits have a fair bit of granite in them.  They erode in a cool manner and look a little like the Badlands.

The start of the climbing and some pretty cool coastline

There were a bunch of bridges built during the WPA era

You can see the bridge in the previous photo in the distance.  More climbing.

Oh, all the previous climbing was just practice for what is to come.  Off the coast and into the forest and valleys.

At the top of the first big hill looking out towards the others

This is one badass surf break.  It was very calm today but the guys down on this break knew it would be going off on the point.  They had to.  The road does not go down there.  They had to hike in

Uh, huh.  More climbing.  Oh, and beautiful coastline. 

The group of six trees is the road

And, more coastline. And, more climbing.

This large bird had white in slashes under its wings and the rest was a dark brown/black.  Golden eagle?

There they are!!  WHALES!  The coastline in this area is just lousy with them. It was really cool to watch the pods chase the schools of fish around.  The fish would just in front of them like minnows. 

Just beautiful 

I caught up with a couple of young French guys for a short period of time.  They were moving at a good clip.  They had started 30 miles earlier than I did so I split off at the campground.  They went on.

The other campsites.  In the sun.

My once beautiful little oasis.  That’s all changed now ;-(  Oh, well.  Maybe I will stop being grumpy and make new biking friends (I’m betting I will stay grumpy but I will hold open my options).

View from the just beyond my (our) campsite.

Remember the part about no running water?  They do sell water and depending upon your point of view, $5 may or may not be a “Good Value” for one gallon of water.  I don’t have any so I think it is a GREAT value!

No comments:

Post a Comment