Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 16 – San Fran to Pigeon Point Lighthouse – On the Road Again and Getting Hostel

Day 16 – San Fran to Pigeon Point Lighthouse – On the Road Again and Getting Hostel
On the road again and another 50+ miles knocked off.  That works considering the all day South Headwind at 15+mph (getting to be a habit) and the wet, cold fog of San Fran.  In fact, it was so foggy and wet, I considered calling it off if the conditions did not improve once I hit Highway 1 (if you look at the link to the route, you will see how many side streets I took to get out of SF and down the road a bit until Highway 1 was manageable).  As I suspected I might be, I was tired by Half Moon Bay but I pushed on to Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel (that’s right, I said HOSTEL!)

Once again I found my biggest obstacle is myself.  I fretted over the hills.  I fretted over the cold and fog.  I fretted over the tunnel.  I fretted over Highway 1.  Yet, here I am at Pigeon Point after competent navigation and strong riding.  I have to stop listening to myself!

Here is a link to today’s ride:  http://www.movescount.com/moves/move36022415

Getting Hostel
I can’t believe I never stayed in one before but here I am in a hostel.  If I had to choose one to do it for the first time, this looks like the one.  The hostel is a lighthouse and grounds with knock-out views.  Absolutely amazing! Now let’s see how long I last ;-) (as I blog there is a woman who scouted out the kitchen before she brought her food in and is now on her knees meticulously marking each parcel.  Perhaps I should start packing right now.......;-)

Photos

Vince G too the San Fran old post office to see Anton Refregier's murals depicting the history of California.  All done in a style that echoes Diego Rivera and Picasso's Guernica.  Wonderful stuff.  

This is titled something like "mishaps on the trail".  I'll say (Vince G would know that actual name;-)

Ok, Vince The Russian is growing on me

More art.  This is a temporary exhibit on the Embarcadero.  It's a neuron.  Used to spit fire at Burning Man but that might be a bit too dangerous for the tourists, especially the English and their tippy bikes ;-)

Beautiful day yesterday

I would say this is the "mule" all loaded up but we all know who the real mule is (oh, at REI I found out that my front panniers are really "rear" panniers and that the real front panniers are a fair bit smaller....ohhhhhh...)

Here ya go, Mark Benton.  I was at the ballpark....ride-by shot.

As I pedaled through the outlying working class neighborhoods on my way out of San Fran, I was jolted out of the enchantment and back into reality.  The downtown areas of San Fran, Seattle, New York, Toronto and so many other spectacular cities are economic islands, mansions on stilts above the rest of humanity.

Cold and foggy.  In this case, it was good.  I couldn't see the top of the highest hill I was going to climb today.  

SuWeeet (as Kevin Q says) or A Friend in the Fog.  This guy is AWESOME.  He owns a donut shut in an Asian Plaza.  The plaza literally popped up out of nowhere in the fog at the top of the hill at Westmoor and Skyline Blvd. in Daly City outside of SF.  I was really bumming because of the cold and fog.  On this trip I have lost 10 lbs and along with it my fat layer that protected me from the cold.  I turned into the plaza looking for carbs and came across his shop.  He was very interested in my journey and was extremely pleasant.  His donuts are great and he threw in a couple extra in the bag too!
He provided that act of kindness that gave me the extra little push I needed today.  Thanks. 

The extra donuts are in the bag at the top left.  My morning snack included a great maple and bacon donut.  Mmm, good

I saw these guys just before I came to a stop sign.  I performed a full and complete stop, probably the first one of the trip.  The CHIP on the right side said it was the best he saw all day ;-)  

This is Owen.  He was pretty helpful today as well.  He helped clear up a few route questions I had and ensured I had a safe and pleasant trip.  

The zig-zagging bike route on the side of the highway.  You see where I am.  Highways are the most direct route to your destination.  Bike paths, well who the hell knows?  Google bike directions got me out of San Fran but we parted ways when it wanted to take me over the 2k ft. peaks and on to mountain bike paths.  

Tunnels ahead!  Actually, the best I have ever been in.  A full side lane for bikes and breakdowns.  

Another hilly route.  Along with a headwind, this is becoming the norm.

I saw this lighthouse that ended up being a hostel at Point Montara.  It looked really cool.  It was only a coincidence that the only other (there are two) Californian lighthouse hostels ended up being my destination.

Leaving Half Moon Bay I became desperate as you can see by my choice for lunch.  English "food" ;-) The interior was at the same time kitschy and quaint in the way only the Br’ish can do it.

It got sunny and pleasant after I got out past Pacifica 

Sand dunes

Pigeon Point Hostel!!!

My bunk is on the bottom.  No roommates yet.  But roommates are like hills; there is always one coming.

I'm in the Dolphin House.  Where is Bill Murray when I need him?

The lighthouse.  Literally right out my door.  

A view looking back from the ocean

The bay

You can't see them but there are a lot of seals on the rocks

Later I on I plan to play a few ragtime tunes and regale my roomies with tales of the sea.

2 comments:

  1. Go Vince Go!! Love reading about your daily adventures! Can't wait to see you when you get to SD! Big love from the Rooney's xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool posts. Well done. The link showing your daily ride was fun to explore

    ReplyDelete