Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 4 - Fourth of July - A Very Agreeable Ride

Day 4 – Fourth of July – A Very Agreeable Ride
My ride from Coos Bay to Port Orford (Humbug Mountain Campground) totaled approximately 58 miles, the last six of which I walked (see below "Betting on Etta").  The leg from Coos Bay to Bandon was the most pleasant and agreeable so far, although it contained more than its fair share of hills.  The road was less traveled than further north.  This allowed me the luxury of enjoying the pine forest, tidal flats and chirping birds. 

A link to the the day's ride: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35201897

Like the hand of Joe, so goes the North Wind 
What made the day most enjoyable was a stiff North Wind that by the time I reached Port Orford was blowing at 15mph.  

Fifteen years ago, after 13 years of building a business, I got out from behind the desk and into the out-of-doors.  My first excursions were whitewater rafting. Lots of getting wet, very little work.  This was quickly followed by mountain biking. 

I recall my first time back on a bike in forever.  It was with Joe Mudry and we were in Confluence, PA.  The route was 22 miles round trip and level as railroad grades tend to be.  I rode a bike that Joe had given me, a brand new mountain bike! I was very excited to use it and what better than a flat, paved track along the Casselman River?  I did not quite make it to the turn around before I was gassed.  Joe had to push me to the turnaround and back the 11 mile return.  

I remember the feeling of defeat but Joe's kind, reassuring encouragement, and his hand on my back, propelled me on.  That event literally launched me my way towards more than a decade of new discoveries.  I felt that hand at my back again today in the form of the North Wind.  Thank you North Wind. And, thank you, Joe.  


My next business - Fasteners, not Plastics, is the Future!
I’m going to start a faster business and put locations at the end of every road leading to a campground. But I’m not gonna use any of the many fasteners I have come across along the way. They are obviously defective, not having done the job they were intended for and let down the frugal manufacturers and handy men who entrusted them with a very important duty. I have, however, noticed some stretches devoid of any fasteners whatsoever.  I will endeavor to find out the types of fasteners used on these sections of roads and stock them exclusively.

Lone fastener.  One among millions.


The views along the way - A few photos


The mileage marker signs.  At first there were indication of my slow progress.  Now they go by like the playing cards during a card trick by Luca

Bandon Dunes – I finally made it but not with my clubs.  At one point, I had selected my six favorite clubs and even devised a way to transport them on my bike.  Fortunately, I was talked out of this (absurd) part of the plan.

Bandon Dunes Bridge – Now that is more like it

Bandon Dunes – A lovely little town

Another whale sighting!!


 
Three guesses (cranberries)

Bah, bah, black sheep (this one is for Mia, our youngest daughter)

 
Port Orford harbor

 
Port Orford prepping for 4th of July

Betting on Etta
Bet on Etta.  I would.  I met Etta as I rolled into Port Orford.  I noticed her walking with a heavy looking backpack and a bag of groceries.  From consulting the map earlier in the day, I would have guessed Humbug Mountain Campground was five miles out of town.  Six (!) according to Etta.  

I had stopped as was agreed would be my new custom and to make sure I got the shot and the story.  She 19 and is from Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast in BC Canada.  Taking some time to consider her options,  and after consulting a map I guessed was drawn by the pioneers, she decided to walk down the entire coast of Oregon, from Astoria to across the border to Crescent City.  

After a short conversation, I decided I would offer to take her backpack (45lbs) to Humbug Mountain Campground.  Anticipating she would say no, I figured I would just pedal my way out to the campground and get set up for an early night's sleep.   

As we walked, we chatted.  I doubted our conversation would last more than a half mile so I thought that I would return to my original plan and head off during a lull in the conversation.  The lull came six miles later when Etta spied a shortcut into the campground over a guardrail and down a rock wall.  Other than this minor "miscalculation" (it didn't end being one), she had this drill down cold.  

She was simply an inspiration.  Armed with not more than a notional thought and an out of date map, she set on on her journey.  Rain turned her walk in the sun into a soggy march and hills turned her feet into hamburger.  Outside of Coos Bay, at the bottom of a hill on Seven Devils Rd (a route I chose to avoid because of the terrain), she vowed to quit and return to BC.  But she rose from the despair and regained her hope and trudged on.  She is now within striking distance of her achieving her goal. She is indefatigable and an inspiration.

Don't bet against Etta.  She will be a success in whatever she chooses to do.  



Etta

Photo looking back at Port Orford

Humbug Mountain...finally!!!

























2 comments:

  1. Hi Vince,

    I met Etta as well.
    Thought her name was Ada.
    I found her a very tough woman and admired her very much for her strength and patience, walking along the 101 towards crescent city.

    I even met her today again the second time - what shows how early she's up and how fast she is by feet - but this time without talking, because it was very very downhill and I enjoyed it so much on my heavy bicycle.

    Wish Etta a pleasant walk and you always a nice tailwind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, ETTA. She spelled it. Sounds like she was doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete