Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 3 - Florence to Coos Bay - The Kindest Cut

Coos Bay!
The ride from Honeyman Campground to Coos Bay was fairly decent with a couple of reasonable hill climbs.  47 miles total.  Still feel tired but better with the shorter distance.

Here is the link to today's ride.  You should see a gap in it.  Sometime you forget to take the GPS watch off of pause after a break.  Oh, well.

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move35074770


Who Bet the Under???
Who would have thought that two days of camping would have driven me to a motel?  Something about waking up in the dirt, probably.  When I arrived in Coos Bay, I checked out a few motels, looking for the down and dirtiest I could find.  My budget was $30.  Yup, $30.  But after all it is 4th of July weekend and that was not going to happen.  I scouted the town out and went to a little motel on the south side of town.  $54.  It looked clean but it was more along the lines of a place you might want to end it all rather than recuperate.  I doubled back to the Best Western.  I know BW's to hold rates above $100 but what the heck.  I put on my best puppy dog face and got a $65 dollar rate (alright).  Pool, hot tub, wifi, fitness room (like I'm gonna use that!!), and a laundry.  I was elated.  I had met a couple of biker groups back at Honeyman; one guy from Germany (Steffen), a Frenchman, a couple of Chicagoans, and a Kentuckian.  They had discussed stopping in Coos Bay to watch Germany vs. France (go Germany!!) in the elimination round at the World Cup while they were in Coos Bay.  I emailed Steffen about the rate and he ended up getting the same deal (but not before they quoted him a $125 rate!).  I must say the folks at BW were really great to give me the rate and extend it to Steffen.  I will keep them on the list.

Steffen in the morning as we were leaving Honeyman



Hydrocarbon Man
Ok, I admit it.  I'm a Hydrocarbon Man.  I would not be here if it were not for fossil fuels.  PERIOD.  Fact is, most of us wouldn't be but it is a bit of revelation realizing that not only would I have not survived the Middle Ages, I wouldn't have made that good of a pioneer.  More on this in the future.


A Little Love for Tyee and Vince


I'm not too happy that Tyee got the bigger billing but at least I got some recognition


Save a Logger, Eat an Owl
Right about now, I'm sure you are figuring I'm not an environmentalist.  You are probably right.  I'm a realist.  I don't forget where the paper we write on, the houses we live in, and the cars we drive, come from.  I use them all.  I'm guessing so do you.  

Clear cut in the Coastals.  Melissa will tell you that I'm probably responsible for most, if not all, of this clear cut.  Guys, it is a renewable resource.  Just a plain old fact.  


Bridges but....
...not of Madison County.  No lovely ladies nor mint juleps.  Just plain old big honking bridges.  

This was the bridge coming into North Bend (close to Coos Bay).  I used the sidewalk and alternately rode, scooted, and walked my bike across.  I have to say that I was probably less thrilled by this bridge than my brother-in-law, Tom, would have been.  Lots of wind whipping around, truckers and weekend warriors.


Coos Bay (Mike Lauer - At least I made it this far)



The Kindest Cut
Outside of Coos Bay, I saw a truck scale on the side of the road.  No trucks (nor cops) so I decided to roll over it.  300LBS!!!  While Steffen rolled over the same one later in the day and got the same result, it was a sign.  LIGHTEN UP!

The total of these items can't weigh more than three lbs but none-the-less they are headed home.  Just not having to worry about keeping the Garmin powered up will be peace of mind enough to be worth the shipping cost. 

Lori - Be on the watch for a Priority Mail box, 2-3 days. 

Oh, and remember these guys?  Only Kevin Quigley can make me eat these!!


1 comment:

  1. They say a realist is simply a pessimist in denial...

    ReplyDelete